Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I like Ira

In my recent endeavors to learn more about the homeless community of Wichita, I met a man named Ira. He does not mind me talking about him to anyone who will listen.  In fact, he likes to know his story is being shared.  He believes that it is his "job" to share his experiences as a homeless man to those who want to help and to those who need help.  He is a member of a local advocacy group who call themselves "Advocates to End Chronic Homelessness."  He is formerly homeless and the voice of reality to this group of wonderful volunteers who have great passion for doing something good for this community.

Last week there was a long and thoughtful discussion about how to help people who are homeless do laundry during an upcoming upheaval in their current system of resources. Ira listened for a bit and then started waiving his hand to say something.  And then I heard him say, "look, if you have enough money to transport people and pay for them to wash anything they want to wash as often as they want, I will tell you that your money can be used for something way better. You know that we tend to gather as much stuff as we can. As soon as you announce that we can wash it on your dime.........well, lets just say..... you are going to spend a LOT of money!  I am going to find stuff to wash just because you are paying for me to wash it.  Please hear me now. Take your money and put it to better use."

The sky parted and the angels sang.

If you know me and how much I love Ruby Paynes thoughts on the Rules of Poverty, you know just how happy this man made me!

At tonight's meeting he told us that we could find money and pool resources to train him for two years on a marketable skill, but if we can't convince people to hire him at the end of that two years, we have wasted time and money. He does not need a work training program, he needs someone to hire him.

I think maybe I love Ira!

0 comments:

Post a Comment