Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

*Karma*

I have spent the last year fretting and moaning and doubting myself and my decision to go to graduate school. I have even gone so far as to say that I wish someone would give me permission to quit.  Despite all of the negativity I put around the experience, I finished two semesters and four classes with all A's. I finally accepted that "I got this!" I was looking forward to fall classes and a new attitude about this part of my journey.  I even enrolled for 3 classes instead of the 2 that are required!

And then Karma stepped in and gave me a great big kick in the butt!

Early in the summer I learned the grant that funds my position was drastically cut at the State level. The trickle down meant that changes would have to be made within the organization where I work. Fast forward through weeks of agony and wondering what was going to happen to my job and the jobs of several co-workers. I finally got the call that my position would be cut from full-time to part-time effective August 1st.

AND THERE IT WAS!!! The excuse to quit school was handed to me.

The only problem is that I no longer want to quit.  I now find myself in a position where I have to consider whether or not I can afford to work part-time and pay for school. While I will have more time to focus on school and my practicum, I also have to consider the (significant) financial implications.

I am still processing this change so I am not going to try and put all of my thoughts about it in this post. What I really wanted to post about is the power of karma. What you put out in the universe becomes part of your journey. I surrounded myself with negativity and doubt for way too long. Even though I had adjusted my attitude and embraced the opportunity, I still had all of that nastiness "out there."   You can't un-do these things. Begin your day with a purpose to live in the moment and know that every experience is a bump on the path. I am responsible for how I proceed on my journey and I am determined to stay focused on the big picture.

I am putting my big girl panties on, talking to the financial aid office at WSU, and re-configuring our budget at home.

I can throw in the towel right now and feel justified in doing it. But karma be dammed, "I got this!"

1 comments:

**Shawna** said...

Aww...Elainne! That stinks!!

However, if you turn this around, this has fallen in your lap for a reason. How much you want to bet that you will be able to do it all? You just have to figure out the plan and stick to it. My dad has been without a job for 2 years now. They have only lived off of my mom's income and the occasional contract job for extra income. My brother still lives at home (he's equal to 3 kids, I swear haha) and they don't expect him to pay for anything either. They came up with a plan and let go of all the worry and they are living their life fuller than ever before. They even donate quite a bit of money to their church.

It can happen and this could be to your advantage. GIRL, YOU DO GOT THIS!

Post a Comment