Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

My journey to graduate school....

I graduated with a Bachelor of Social Work in 1990 from Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas.  Since then, I have had the opportunity to work in some incredible organizations.  My work experience includes direct service positions to mid-level management in the areas of criminal justice (parole), foster care, developmental disabilities (adult and children, community and institution ), and school-based prevention. 

I always wished I had a master's degree, but never had the motivation to do it.   Until now.  Which is really crazy because doing this BEFORE we had 3 kids would have been soooooo much easier!! You learn a lot of stuff in 20 years, and I want the formal credentials to match the experience.

I have lots of experience and I know lots of stuff, but I am not "book smart," and that part scares the crap outta me! I have always been an average student, but important people at WSU know me and have opinions about me. They expect better than average. The truth is that I am old, I am sleep deprived, my memory and concentration suck right now, and I have zero attention span.  eeeeeeeek....

My journey  in the Master Social Work program at Wichita State University starts 8/24/10.   I am doing this for me, but I hope I can make a few people proud along the way.

And as sappy as it will seem to most people who read this blog, it is very important to me that Kellie, Naomi, Ragan, and Sandi  know that I have been honored to be your colleague, friend, and sibling. You are the inspiration for this new leg of my journey. My biggest cheerleaders.

And a great big shout out for Big daddy. He is also making some sacrifices and taking a larger role with the kids and our home so I can do this. 

Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

sandi said...

thank you and good luck - although i know you will do fine. i am living proof that hard work and determination go a long way! you, too, were my inspiration throughout my journey and one of my biggest cheerleaders. it feels good to make others proud and even better to be proud of yourself. oh and don't forget to have fun!

Naomi said...

You are smarter than you give yourself credit for.....I am always proud of you and proud to call you one of my bestest friends!

Post a Comment