Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Teach your children about your journey

"You have to teach your children about your journey"

I heard this on a television program and can't get it out of my head. What would I want to teach my children about my journey? What journey? My entire life journey? Spin-offs of my journey? I'm not really sure, but it sure has me thinking about what kinds of things I hope my kids will be thankful for learning from me.  Here are a few that stand out.  

1) Blood does not make you family. This is by far the most valuable lesson I have learned in my life.  I could talk about this for pages and pages and pages.

2) Secrets are destructive. Even when kept in order to protect. No one has a right to decide what you should or should not know about yourself. The events that people keep secret are a part of your story and you have a right to decide how they will impact your journey. 

3) You control your own destiny.  You can only expect to have the kind of life that you are willing to work for. You are not entitled to anything. Live without regrets.

4) No one is better than you because of tangible items, economic class, or popularity. You are not better than anyone else because of tangible items, economic class, or popularity. This speaks for itself.

This blog post could be a million pages full of my thoughts and opinions about things, but these are things that are on my mind today.  What do you want your kids to learn about or from your journey?

0 comments:

Post a Comment